Thursday, April 9, 2009

Far From A Mixtape

I feel like I relate to songs a lot more these days. It's a good and bad thing. Not specifically these songs. These tracks however, have been ruling my life lately. One day I'll figure out how to embed mp3s on this damn thing. Until then, just trust me and follow the links.

Kurt Vile - Freeway
Short and sweet. That first line is infectious. It's all you need.
The Shins - Saint Simon
From one of my all time favorite records. I think it clocks in at just over thirty minutes. This song always reminds me of my sister. Up until about 5 minutes ago, I thought the line was "Lucy's eyes are blue". Turns out it's "Mercy's eyes are blue". Huh, who knew.
Nas - Halftime
I have listened to Illmatic probably one hundred times since my truck broke down. Classic.
Animal Collective - Summertime Clothes
This record too. I just can not get sick of it. It's almost hard to listen to right now. There are some serious moments/people/issues attached to this record. This song especially.
The National - Slow Show
This band does no wrong. Why this song? Why not? They all rule.
Sam Roberts - Them Kids
Honest pop music. Hard to come by such a good jam.
Beirut - Postcards From Italy
The horn line towards the end of this song sounds like how it would feel to have a rainbow shining down on you. Thats some of the gayest shit I've ever said, but its glorious. Triumphantly sad. Beautiful.
Van Morrison - Everyone
From another great record. This is one of those jams like I said before that I can relate to. (Sorry, I can't find a good stream of this one. Go dig through your parents record collection and listen to Moondance like seven times through. It'll be good for you.)
Phoenix - 1901
These dudes make writing pop songs look easy. Watch out for this record. I have a feeling it will sit right towards the top of a lot of year end lists.
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Hysteric
An excellent track from as far as I can tell an excellent record. Moving out of the garage and onto the dance floor. Welcome Karen and friends. It's nice to have you here.
Harlem Shakes - Strictly Game
I've only heard one other song from this band and it is great too. There's a line in here that kind of sums up being young if you ask me. Let me know if you can find it. It's not "I'm sick of holding on to nothing when I just want to hold your hips", but I'll be damned if that's not a properasfuck line.
Bonus Jam
Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova - Into the Mystic
A Van Morrison cover. Beautifully executed.

In other news, blogger is slowly becoming more and more of a bitch to deal with. I am leaving in 27 days, and on the real, that shit ca't come soon enough. The Plat Lite is really great
. Fuck 2009. Yes, still. I will be needing addresses to send you all postcards. Get em to me. I think there will be a party on May 2nd. Tired of whining to my friends. Sorry guys, and thanks. Trying not to whine to the internet. My bike is up and running. It's getting nice out. Fuck yes.

Contributors